No doubt, your pet is your favorite companion, but you can’t deny the fact that the smell of your pet’s urine is utterly terrible. Pet stains and odor are not only unpleasant, but it is also almost impossible to remove them from carpets, upholstery, fabric, floors, bedding, or walls. We love these furry friends, but living with the stink of their pee seems unbearable.
If left untreated, the dog pee or cat urine sits in a carpet and bacteria build up. The stain and lingering odor of dog pee and cat urine is a serious problem for every pet owner. Many products are available in the market to get rid of those stains and that acrid smell, but most of these products do not work. You may use them, but the problem remains and the smell returns after some time.
Various options are suggested to pet owner from different sources which may actually damage the floor, carpet, and furniture. Therefore, it is important to use the right products and avoid using following cleaning agents.
• Avoid using bleach as it will not kill the persistent odor of the urine. Though it works as a disinfectant, it is harmful to you and your pets.
• Next in the list is ammonia as it will only make the smell worse. Moreover, never ever mix bleach and ammonia as it produces dangerous fumes.
• Items found in the kitchen, like vinegar, peroxide, dish detergent or baking soda can be used, but these are not much effective to eliminate that stinky urine odor.
Remedies to eliminate Dog/Cat urine stains and odor:
There are some enzyme-based products available in the market and at pet stores to clean up dog and cat urine odors. These enzyme-based products break down the bacteria and neutralize the odor. First, soak the target area with the urine odor removal product and then let it air dry. Repeat the process more than once to completely eliminate the odor. Some commonly used enzyme-based odor removers are Simple Solution and Nature’s Miracle. However, for older stains, enzymatic cleaners may not work as it only works on fresh urine.
Another option is homemade cleanser:
• White vinegar helps in neutralizing pet urine odors, but again it isn’t always effective against cat and dog pee.
• You can also try using Baking soda for absorbing odors. After cleaning and drying the area, apply baking soda on the spot, left it for few hours, and then vacuum clean it.
• To remove the stinky smell, using OxyClean, an oxygen-based cleaner is also recommended. It helps in killing the smell causing bacteria.
There is another homemade, natural recipe for cat urine odor and stain removal. Mix 16 ounces of 3% hydrogen peroxide, 1 tablespoon baking soda, and 1 teaspoon dishwashing liquid. Put the mixture in a spray bottle and apply to the urine-affected area. Keep the solution for some hours and once it is completely dried, vacuum it. However, it is important to first spot test a small area of the fabric or carpet. The solution can be used on fabric, woven carpets, and floors.
If even after trying the safest possible cleaning products, the stain and odor persist, it is best to hire a professional pet stain and odor cleaning service. The professionals make use of the best products and techniques to remove every stain and odor in the safest manner.